Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Look What I Found!!!

I was digging in an upstairs closet the other day and found this with a stack of pictures leaning together facing the wall. On the back I have written 1991. Years ago I cross-stitched constantly. I remember how difficult this one became. This was done on a cream linen using one thread. Even with one thread it became thick and hard to get the needle in an out. There is a matching design that goes with this that I started long ago and have not finished. I don't think my eyes could handle the smallness of it now. Maybe I should give it a try anyway!


This closeup view will give you some kind of idea as to how small the stitching really is! I'm glad I found it......I'm going to find a really nice place for it in my sewing room!

I also found this!! During my refrigerator/ freezer calamity I found this out in the garage ( our garage is not attached to our house...it's like a little stucco building at the edge of the yard..more of a storage house than a garage, and this is where my freeze is) anyway, I found this down in the bottom of an aluminum trash can that was shoved over in a corner. These trash cans are great for storage because bugs and mice and such can't get into them. You can imagine my surprise when I found it. I had forgotten all about it. This project is about 23 yrs. old. I started this after I stopped working ( for someone else that is). I faintly remember saying..."When I quit work I'm going to make me a quilt." I can't remember why that seemed to be such an important thing to start with when I quit work???? I don't remember how or why I used this layout. I don't remember how I even knew how to start a quilt. I don't remember any of these fabrics. Mostly in a fog over this one!!!

I can see the quilt police running and screaming as they pull on their hair!!!! Believe it or not, I also started hand quilting it. It's about 1/3rd quilted..that is if I only leave it very plain and just quilt around the squares one time. AND LOOK at how GOOD I matched my seams. I probable didn't know they were supposed to match!! I think it became too hot to keep quilting on it is the reason it got put up, and I never thought of it again!! This is soooo amusing to me and I love it!!

You gals need to run over and visit Tonya and have a look-see at Fran's sleepover quilt. Fran doesn't have a blog, but she sure is a SUPER quilter!! Nanette and Nedra have posted some good pictures of some quilt shows they have been to as well.

I made an executive decision Sunday and determined the pears are not ready yet, so maybe I have some sewing time until this next weekend. I have been sewing and playing with my "crumbs". I have also tried my hand at some "maverick stars". They didn't turn out too well, I'm learning what not to do on these. My fabric colors were not in contrast enough.......so, I probable have some more new potholders!!
Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

  1. Hi Belinda, well you could say that the non-matched seams were planned, like lap over blocks or something. Its too great not to finish. I have a quilt I started hand quilting ages ago and then finished machine quilting. The back is bubbled and its really a terrible quilt but its flannel and my kids use it outside so its ok. But yours is a keeper.

    Thanks for the sweet mention. I made jam last night with the peaches we had picked. They go bad so fast! Those gardens are going to keep us both very busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treasure to find your stitchery piece! That is impressively small. It needs a place of honor, that's for sure! And I love your quilt. It looks good to me! Better than my first quilt, I think! Great discoveries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a find in your garage! I remember the cross stitch days. When I moved two years ago I probably gave 100 framed cross stitch pieces to the local thrift shop. My kids didn't want them and I couldn't even sell them at killer prices at our garage sale. They sure did provide therapy for me at the time I was making them, so they served their purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, and thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should see the seams on one of my first quilts...supposed to be a pinwheel lol I'm not sure if there's a lined up point on the whole thing! But isn't it fun to find old projects? That cross stitch is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice to find hidden treasures. That crossstich is lovely and so is your 'old' quilt. Your colors are lovely and you sure have a good eye for displaying things.Your not too shabby with a camera either.
    My husband and kids all make fun of me because I can't seem to take a good picture to save my life. He-he-he... I noticed, (too late of course) that in one of those pictures that Tonya put on her site, my toes are peeking in at the bottom.LOL...That's me, can't be good at everything right? :c) Fran

    By the way, thanks a lot for the kudos, I love it that so many people like my quilt. That's so cool. I didn't send it to Tonya to ask her to put it out there. All I did was send her the pictures to show her my 'Bonnie/Tonya Wanta Be' quilt and she wrote back said she loved it, and asked if she could put the pictures on her site. What a nice surprize to know it was good enough. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, what a treasure to uncover. I love this quilt, especially the fact that the seams DON'T match. makes it much livelier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What GREAT finds!! That is the best! I am always so amazed when people find such wonderful things hidden away, like little treasures. I've really enjoyed reading your blog. I'm sure to visit often!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cross stitch is incredible. I use to do a lot of that before I had 4 kids. What a great find. And your quilt. It's perfect has a lots of character. Have a great day! Em

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a quilt like yours that was started about 30 years ago...I am contracted to finish it this year for the guild UFO project!!! Don't worry about the quilt police...think of it as a growth chart!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hia belinda- i'll have to remember that- if I make something as a trial it can always become a potholder. I think I've been getting a little paranoid about not wasting any fabric. Pot holders are good! Thanks. :-)

    I love that you have found a little of your quilting history.

    Oh my that is very fine cross stitch. I did a tiny one on 18 Aida and vowed never again. Well done for finishing yours it does deserve a place of pride.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the cross stitch as i also cross stitch, i find it very relaxing
    Thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your cross stitch is stunning. And I love the quilt. The fact that some squares don't match up just gives the quilt more character. Finish it and be proud of it.

    ReplyDelete

**THANK YOU BUT, PLEASE DO NOT TAG * OR * AWARD * ME **